Toland Road Sanitary Landfill
Hours and Days of Operation
General Public and Non-Commercial Vehicles*:
Mon-Fri, 9:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
*See Landfill Restrictions below.
Non-Transfer Commercial Account Vehicles:
Mon-Fri, 6:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Transfer Account Vehicles:
Mon-Fri, 6:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
No Hazardous Waste is Accepted at Toland Road Landfill
The Toland Road Landfill is open only to residents of the Santa Clara Valley and commercial loads
processed through a Ventura County transfer station or materials recycling facility. Users may be
required to show proof of residency or vehicle registration within 93015, 93016, 93060, 93061, or
93040 ZIP Codes. No other direct haul loads can be accepted.
Only municipal solid waste is accepted at the landfill. All waste loads are subject to detailed
inspection for hazardous materials. Please contact your city for Household Hazardous Waste
Illegal dumping at the landfill is a violation of the law, which may result in a fine. To report illegal
dumping after hours call (805) 658-4655.
For more information, contact the Toland Road Landfill Scalehouse at 3500 Toland Road, Santa
Paula, CA 93060, or call (805) 658-4685 or (805) 525-8217.
Toland Road Landfill is managed by the Ventura Regional Sanitation District with oversight by the
County Planning Division. Review agencies, who work hand-in-hand with the Planning Department,
include the Agricultural Commissioner; Air Pollution Control District; Environmental Health Division;
Fire Department; Public Works Agency; Solid Waste Management Department; Flood Control
District; California Integrated Waste Management Board; California Division of Oil, Gas, and
Geothermal Resources; Regional Water Quality Control Board; and United Water COnservation
Toland Road Landfill operates under a strict Conditional Use Permit (CUP) with 88 conditions and
285 sub-clauses that outline parameters for landfill operations and restrictions. Other documents and
permits governing the landfill's operation include an Environmental Impact Report, Planning Fee
Resolutions, and the Ventura County Ordinance Code (as regulated by the County of Ventura)); the
NPDES, Waste Discharge Requirement, and Storm Water Permit (as regulated by the Regional
Water Quality Control Board); the Solid Waste Facility Permit (as regulated by the Local
Enforcement Agency); the Uniform Fire Code Permit (as regulated by the Ventura County Fire
Department); and the California Code of Regulations (as regulated by the State of California).
Required Plans and Programs
Plans and programs required by Toland’s CUP are comprehensive and rigorous. For example, the
requirement for Dust Suppression comprises 13 separate elements including requirements to pave
high-use roads on site, vacuum them, and water unpaved roads. Toland staff have developed and
maintain over 25 full-scale plans and programs in response to CUP requirements. Landfill employees
continue to seek out and implement even better solutions and operations, continually upgrading and
refining these required programs and adding others not required by the oversight agencies.
Required Plans & Programs include:
- Emergency Procedures Plan (Condition 78)
- Final Postclosure Maintenance Plan (Condition 2)-
- Grading Plan (Condition 50)
- Nighttime Lighting Plan (Condition 81)
- Refuse Area Drainage Plan (Condition 51)
- Stockpile Plan (Condition 52)
- Water Conservation Plan (Condition 54)
- Agricultural Pest Control Program (Condition 75)
- Archaeological/Cultural Resource Protection Program (Condition 83)
- Biological Resource Protection Program (Condition 82)
- Bird Control Program (Condition 76)
- Compressed Natural Gas/Low Emissions Vehicle Program (Condition 68)
- Cortese Mitigation Monitoring Program (Condition 88)
- Dust Suppression Program (Condition 67)
- Emissions Mitigation Program (Condition 68)
- Fire Protection Program (Condition 69)
- Gas Well Monitoring Program
- Groundwater Monitoring Program (Condition 53)
- Hazardous Waste Diversion Program (Condition 77)
- Leachate Monitoring Program (Condition 53)
- Load Check (Hazardous Waste Diversion) Program (Condition 77)
- Noise Abatement Program (Condition 42)
- Odor Control Program (Condition 66)
- On-Site Litter Control Program (Condition 73)
- Paleontological Resource Protection Program (Condition 84)
- Roadway Litter/Illegal Dumping Control Program (Condition 74)
- Toxic Constituent Monitoring Program (HHW) (Condition 65)
- Traffic Mitigation Program (Condition 79)
- Vector/Nuisance/Pest Control Program (Condition 75)
- Waste Diversion Compliance Program (Condition 44)
Extended commercial disposal hours for
exceptional circumstances are subject to prior
approval by VRSD management. Site is subject
to unscheduled closure due to high winds,
inclement weather, and tonnage limits (signs will
be posted on Highway 126 notifying of closure).
Contact scalehouse for closure information
Facilities Open for Saturday Disposal
Gold Coast Recycling Center, Inc.:
5275 Colt Street, Ventura (805) 642-9236
Del Norte Recycling & Transfer Station:
111 S Del Norte Rd, Oxnard (805) 385-8060
2017 VRSD. All rights reserved.